How to write a Compare and Contrast Essay: format, structure, outline, examples, topics
Writing a compare and contrast essay
This type of essay is basically a composition, which is concentrated on two points. The compare and contrast essay reveals the differences and the similarities of these two points, things, situations, etc. The main task of any writer is to find as many similarities and a difference, as it is possible.
How to write a compare and contrast essay?
In order to write a professional compare and contrast essay it is necessary to remember that it is vital to identify the points of comparison. This is a major requirement because without this proper identification the essay will not have a correct logical form. To make a detailed compare and contrast essay the first step is to point out the key aspects and do a research on the topic including articles and books.
Compare and contrast essay structure
The compare and contrast essay has a rather simple structure but nevertheless it is important to specify its contents:
Introduction (Introduction is used to choose what will be compared and contrasted and to identify the major lines of comparison. The introduction must be very bright as it is supposed to catch the attention of the reader and make the rest of the essay appealing to the reader. One of the main secrets of any successful compare and contrast essay introduction is adding a surprising fact or an anecdote on the topic of discussion).
- Each of the compared points has to be presented in a separate paragraph or if it is necessary in two paragraphs.
- When all the compared points are revealed to the reader the writer is suggested to put analyze them one more time together in order to put in one solid comprehension of the essay. The paragraphs must be connected with each other with very strong topic sentences. The reader is not supposed to face any difficulties understanding the reason the material is organized the way it is. In other words the reader is expected to understand the reason the writer is analyzing these given aspects.
- The body should be critically read, as each topic sentence has to clearly summarize the main point of the paragraph.
- For better result the body should be analyzed from the perspective of an independent analytic, so it should be read a day after it was written or by another trusted person for review.
Conclusion (Conclusion is used to summarize the key similarities and differences of the two analyzed things. Word for word restatements should be avoided. The reader is not supposed to feel any doubt in the compare and contrast essay perspective on the topic).
Compare and Contrast Essay Examples
This site also includes compare and contrast essay examples for you convenience. Each sample of compare and contrast essay provided by custom-essays.org is absolutely free.
View all Compare and Contrast Essay Examples
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics
Compare and contrast essays can be written on many different topics which base on comparison of two or more subjects, theories, personalities, events etc. Delicate approach to the choice of a topic or keen understanding of the one topic is the key element of good essay writing. If you hesitate either on choosing the essay topic or the idea for Compare and contrast essay please feel free to contact us and we gladly help you any time you need assistance.
View all Compare and Contrast Essay Topics
Compare and Contrast Essay Writing
A compare and contrast essay is a type of essay which is used to explore both the similarities and the differences between two subjects by comparing and contrasting them against each other.
A comparison seeks to present the similarities of two objects whereas a contrast aims at exposing the differences between two objects. Compare and contrast essays are popular in academic writing. The comparison and contrast may be a fraction of an essay or may constitute the entire essay. An essay may include only a comparison, contrast or both. A contrast and compare essay’s goal may be to assist the readers to make a decision on a particular topic of argument. Another aim of this type of essay may be to develop critical and analytical thinking capacities in the minds of the audience.
COMPARE AND CONTRAST ESSAY RUBRIC
Compare and Contrast Essay Outline
A compare and contrast essay outline consists of an introduction, a body, and a conclusion. The introduction and conclusion are often standard paragraphs written at the beginning and end of an essay respectively. An introduction is an overview of the rest of the essay and should contain a strong thesis statement that comprehensively states the essay’s purpose.
There are two primary manners to outline or structure the body of a compare and contrast essay:
- The first way is using a block structure also called a subject to subject or a whole to the whole structure. In this fashion, an essay writer compares and contrasts all the information of a single subject or item first. The comparison and contrast of the second subject are listed after that and follows the same order as the first. A transition paragraph or sentence often divides the two paragraphs above.
- The second system is a point by point structure. In a point by point system, each point is discussed in a single paragraph. Both subjects are discussed under the same point in each paragraph. It is advised to start and end with the same subject for each point to maintain consistency. The type of structure used depends on the essay writer and the advantages of each structure. A point by point structure is clearer and more explicit whereas the block structure is easier to write.
60 SUCCESSFUL COMPARE AND CONTRAST ESSAY TOPICS
How to Start Compare and Contrast Essay
Once a teacher gives students the two subject to be compared and contrasted, the students first go out and seek information about both topics. The first step is to identify the differences and similarities in the information. Then a way to sort out and organize the above information is sought and utilized. The best and most common way of starting such an essay is to draw a Venn diagram. A Venn diagram is a very helpful organizational tool. It consists of two circles that overlap creating a single overlapping area and two non-overlapping areas.
The diagram is then used to filter the information. The similar properties of the two subjects are written in the overlapping area while contrasting features are written in their respective non-overlapping areas. One can also use a table to classify the information presented in a clear and manageable way. Tables are relatively straightforward and easy to use.
How to Conclude Compare and Contrast Essay
The conclusion of a compare and contrast essay should be able to summarize the major points presented in the body of the essay. It should, however, go beyond a simple analysis. The conclusion should be an evaluation of the points given above. It should present the overall aim of the essay’s discussion. Often, a paraphrased version of the thesis statement contained in the introduction is provided in the conclusion.
The concluding paragraph, in essence, should show the significance of why the essay writer compared and contrasted the two subjects that were in question. Moreover, the conclusion should contain a vivid presentation of the opinion of the essay writer on the topic of discussion.
Compare and Contrast Essay Writing Tips
A good topic should interest readers and hold their attention. It should also aid the writer to demonstrate his writing skills through the essay. The subjects to be discussed should also be easily comparable to make distinctions as clear as possible. Information on the two subjects should be wide reaching and easily acquirable to ensure the writer has plenty of material for the essay. Choosing the essay structure that suits the writer is an important part of writing a good compare and contrast essay. A proper outline gives the essay clarity and helps the organization of the work. The structure of the essay’s body determines the shape of the entire work.
The essay structure could highlight the writer weaknesses or strengths and should be decided with the utmost of care. Use of appropriate transitioning signals is crucial. These are words, phrases, and expressions that show the reader the relationship between subjects. Such words should be undoubtedly clear whether they indicate contrast or showcase similarities. Transition signals should also be placed at the correct point in a sentence or paragraph. Feel free to use this sample essay as a model for your own compare and contrast essay.
Why Is It Better to Hire a Writing Service?
Ordering an essay from an essay writing service for a myriad of reasons:
- A writing service has professional writers.
- Our professional writers are skilled and may have specialized experience in writing a particular type of essays for example compare and contrast essays.
- Essaymasters writing service has a wider source of information from which to conduct research.
If you need help with compare and contrast essay writing place an order and our professionals will help!